Pfeffernusse Cookie Recipe
1. In a large pot over low heat, combine the molasses, honey, and butter. Stir together until the butter is just melted. Make sure to not let the mixture come to a boil.
2. Once the butter is melted, remove it from the stove and set aside. Pour the mixture into a large glass bowl and set aside to cool.
3. Once the mixture is mostly cooled, stir in the eggs and anise extract.
4. Sift together the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and spices into a separate bowl.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture and stir until it is thoroughly combined. The dough will become thick and stiff.
6. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
7. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
8. Using a small (1 inch cookie scoop), roll the dough into small balls and place them on a baking sheet; about 15 per sheet.
9. Bake for 12 -14 minutes until done. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool slightly before transferring them onto a cooling rack.
10. Generously sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar once cooled.
Serve and enjoy! Don't forget the hot coffee to dunk them in!
Blog post written by Amy Karras
Leave a Reply.
Our favorite recipes!
Our Hometown of Rapid City, South Dakota